[OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:22:08 -0600
Walters, Martin wrote:
> After a lot of head scratching, I recently bought the Manfrotto 055CL
> (aka 3021), but not the PRO version, so the centre column doesn't go
> horizontal.

  This is the one I have as well (the Pro version) -- I've used the
horizontal feature often enough for fiddly macros / underside-of-flower
stuff to be glad I have it, though it's not essential.

  I think the reason everyone's recommending this is because it's very
hard to go wrong with one of these tripods -- they're solid, reliable,
easy to use, and have been around for ages. You won't regret buying one
of these -- it'll use up most of your budget, but then you'll have a
tripod that you won't want to replace for any reason other than weight;
buying a cheaper but wobbly one is a false economy.

  Heads are harder to recommend -- I have the Manfrotto/Bogen 308RC head
(closest current equivalent looks like the 486RC2), which works okay,
but has a very annoying tendency to slop a tiny bit vertically when I
tighten it up -- not sure if it's the ball, the QR plate-camera
interface, or what, but I wish it didn't do it. Then again, that's only
really been a problem with macro shooting where small motions make a big
deal.

  -- dan