[OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
> Thanks for all replies to my question. After researching for a
> while, think I would buy a standard tripod like bogen 3001 or
> 3021 on the bay. For the head, I still have no idea, good
> ballhead seems to be really expensive, while tilt and pan is
> affordable, but doesn't look as comfortable as the ball one.

I have both the 3001 and 3021. They are night and day different
tripods. the 3021 is a heavy duty beast and with a head weighs a
ton and a half. (10 pounds to be more precise). The 3021 is a
terrific tripod, though, but not one you'd casually carry around
without purpose. The 3001 doesn't go nearly as tall, but is
immenently more carryable when going more than 300 meters from
the car.

I use the heavy-duty Bogen/Manfrotto ball-head (hex plate) and
am quite pleased with it. It handles well and is relatively
lightweight. Best of all, it's affordable. That said, I do plan
on eventually migrating away from the Manfrotto heads and going
to a different QR system.  Probably in two years, though.

The 3001 does need a slight modification to get to ground level,
but once done, it makes an outstanding macro rig--at the expense
of overall height.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com