[OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:53:48 -0400
After a lot of head scratching, I recently bought the Manfrotto 055CL (aka
3021), but not the PRO version, so the centre column doesn't go horizontal.
Cost new is US$130-150, though probably available used for somewhat less on
Eb*y. While I have only used it a couple of times, it seems quite solid and not
too heavy.

Just got myself an Acratech ball head (original style). Not cheap, but very
well made and light. Seems very nice to use (I've only hung a Tamron 300/2.8 on
it for testing), but I'm a beginner.... Always liked this head, but was swayed
by advice/experience from Jeff Keller, who is a fan (thanks Jeff!). This head
is way beyond Kem's budget though.

Given Kem's budget, he might want to look at the Giottos 1001 ball head (approx
US$88). I looked at one and it was well made and not too heavy. It came
recommended by a long time photographer (and store owner here in Ottawa),
particularly for (casual/non-professional) use with smaller lenses (ie
something like the size of an 80-200/2.8). No personal experience other than
that.

Martin