[OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 23:50:41 -0700
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to tripod and looking a medium weight tripod for macro and
>night scene shooting. Most of my equipments are not so heavy except
>the tamron 80-200mm.
>There are too many tripods/heads on the BH and it's really confusing,
>so.. could anybody recommend a good combination(tripod/head) that does
>the job within $200 budget ?
>
>thank
>-kem

Kem,
Having cheaped out a couple of times on tripod purchases myself I would
suggest expanding your budget.  That's easy for me to say since it's your
money but a cheap quality tripod will be a big source of headache.

I use a Bogen 3021 pro and I got it because it could get very low to the
ground and the center column can go horizontal, both features that are
useful to macro.  But the tripod itself will almost wipe out your 200
budget.  I use an Acratech ball head and it by itself takes more than your
budget.

I also obtained - by the wise advice of members of this band of sages and
nitwits - a Bogen 410 geared head.  It too by itself will decimate that
limit.  But it is great for macro work and works very well in dialing in a
level horizon on wide angle.

I'd say sell some blood or cut back on the Starbucks coffee to up your
budget.

And this is official OM content because I use an OM bodies on my tripod.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets