[OM] Grand opening of gallery.philpem.me.uk

Subject: [OM] Grand opening of gallery.philpem.me.uk
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 01:02:32 +0100
Hi,
   I've just finished uploading a good chunk of my photos to my new online
gallery at <http://gallery.philpem.me.uk/>. As a result of my getting a new
(well, second-hand, not that it really matters) film scanner -- a Minolta
DiMAGE Scan Dual IV -- and I'm using that as an excuse to get a load of
negatives scanned.

   I'm using VueScan Pro at the moment, but for some reason if I use any of
the film profiles other than "Generic colour negative", I get a nasty colour
cast on the scan. Using the GCN profile with White Balance usually produces
pretty good scans. For what it's worth, even the Reala profile is pretty
useless on the current revision of the Reala film. It does have less
noticeable grain than any other film I've tried, hence why there's currently
three 35mm rolls of it in the fridge. Oh, and the six rolls of Kodak Colour
Plus 200 in the cupboard. Maybe I should get some slide film to have a play
with...

   A few of you may remember the blurry photos of the red squirrels I posted
about last year. I've rescanned these, and found a couple others that were in
focus and enhanceable to the point where I could actually see something..
These are in the "Scotland 2005" section, in the "Drumlanrig Castle" album.

   There's also some scans in the "Temple Newsam" album from the first roll of
Reala I ran through the OM4. The photos seem a bit light to me - maybe
slightly overexposed? It was a very bright day - I suspect the OM4's meter
might have gotten a little confused by all the bright light sources.

   I've also put some of my photos from the family holiday to New York online.
These are in the "New York (2001)" album (as you've probably already guessed).
There are a few photos with a magenta cast across the central 2/3rds of the
negative - these were from the same film, and nearly all the photos on that
film have the same colour casting issues. Does anyone know what might have
caused this? I'm thinking X-ray fogging, but they don't exhibit the typical
"train track" patterns normally seen on X-ray fogged film.

   Before anyone comments on how most of the photos look "foggy".. that's
because it was foggy on the day we chose to visit NYC. It did clear up a bit
later though, but not until after I'd run out of film. It's probably also
worth pointing out that some of the photos in the "NY 2001" album were taken
with a cheap 35mm compact camera (a Braun Candy-2), hence the incredible
amount of barrel distortion. It's not my camera, honest, guv! I had an OM-10
and a Zuiko 50/1.8 prime!

   Some hints on getting dust off film would also be much appreciated. Canned
air seems to have no effect on the stuff that's stuck to some of my films,
especially the ones from New York (the skyline shot is about the worst).
Scratches I can fix, huge clumps of dust and drying marks I can't. Well, not
without major work anyway.

   Finally, does anyone have a cross-reference for Fuji films? I've got a lot
of developed film that has the labelling "FUJI N72A" along the top of the
negatives, but I can't cross-reference that to the film's name or anything. I
know Superia 200 is S-200, but what is N72A?

Thanks.
--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G