[OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which tripod should I get ?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:33:21 +0000
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
> Johann Thorsson wrote:
> > I see you have gotten a lot of good advice.  I got my tripod 24 years ago,
> > Cullmann 2903.
> I have one of those, inherited from my father. Quick and easy to set up
> and adjust.
>
> The aluminum construction is very prone to vibration, not only from
> wind, but with certain body/lens/shutter speed combos, or something like
> that, it will pick up and amplify the mirror/aperture mechanism
> vibration. Hold a finger lightly against a leg, then tap it and try
> firing the camera, boing! The camera should be independently damped on
> this tripod, One can use ones hands, as Oly suggests for all lenses
> longer than 50mm:

I always hesitate to disagree with Moose, because he usually turns out to be
right and then I sulk for an hour or so.  But anyway, my experience with and
opinion of the Cullmann 2903 differs from his.  I have used one for years for
macro work, especially stuff down on the ground, where most macro photography
seems to take place, and haven't noticed any undue vibration, even when I fail
to follow procedure, go hands-off and use either self timer or -- heaven forbid
-- cable release.  Like here:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1112.jpg

Maybe Moose taps harder'n I do.  :-)

> The Cullmann QR system is a favorite of mine. I use it all the time.
> (Thanks, Walt!)
>
> Moose

You're sure welcome.  I highly recommend it and even have Cullman QR adapters
on my Bogen and Gitzo heads.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from