[OM] Re: any opinions appreciated

Subject: [OM] Re: any opinions appreciated
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:56:18 -0500
> Cropping advice needed on this one. I have looked at this one quite a
> while,
> but can't see any way to crop it to salvage a good picture. Obviously the
> window ledge of the vehicle needs to go, and probably the light pole. I
> wanted to include the flowers and the vertical rockface though, but I
> don't
> see how to keep that without the stupid cows walking out of the picture.
I didn't even notice the lightpole until the second look. The cows are
indeed moving in thee wrong direction. I would remove the rockface entirely
and make a horizontal shot in the upper right, or leave in some of the
rockface and make it a square.

> Okay, I'll blame these two on shutter lag on the C5050 (have to blame
> somebody :)
> http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/989644/1/67823101
Take an inch or so off the right side.

> http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/989644/1/67823107
and an inch or so off the left.

Remember, you will not go to jail, or in your case, be defrocked, if you
violate the rule of thirds. It's a good rule, but we all know why rules are
made.

Also, many photographers are inexorably forced to make their photos fit into
a certain proportion that is defined by paper sizes. There's no reason that
a photo has to be 8x10 or 11x14 or any other standard size. I think that's
the difference between those of us who shoot a lot for reproduction and
those who shoot for printing. Let your imagination run wild!

Bill Pearce