[OM] Re: any opinions appreciated

Subject: [OM] Re: any opinions appreciated
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:40:05 -0300

> To me, the struggle here is because there are two different
> pictures/stories in there. One is a tighter crop that emphasizes the
> people, their task and the flowers and cliff. The second, which I like a
> little better, I think, uses only a minor crop, which loses the pole,
> but is primarily to make the figures relatively a little bigger,
> whileretaining much of the background to show their small arable plot in
> context of the general rocky, unyielding countryside
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/WayneCows/>.

Thanks to all who replied to this. It's especially interesting to me to hear
the different stories that people see the pictures as telling. For instance,
after Moose added the comment above, I started to look at the picture in a
different way myself, and what had looked at first to me like wasted space
became an important part of the picture.

My philosophy of picture taking normally goes something like this - "Hey,
that looks like a good picture" - (snap), and doesn't usually contain the
concept of telling a story.

Someone mentioned that the oxen looked to be struggling away from the
rockface. That might be normally true elsewhere, but down there in Bolivia I
think neither man nor beast nor truck/bus driver has any concept of fear of
heights. Sadly, there are instances where they do fall over the edge.

The 3rd picture did need opening up of some of the darker or shadow areas.

Okay, so the rule of thirds doesn't rule anymore, so I can scrap that one
some of the time :-)
Thanks again,
Wayne