[OM] Re: any opinions appreciated

Subject: [OM] Re: any opinions appreciated
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 01:48:01 -0700
Wayne Culberson wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied to this. It's especially interesting to me to hear
> the different stories that people see the pictures as telling. For instance,
> after Moose added the comment above, I started to look at the picture in a
> different way myself, and what had looked at first to me like wasted space
> became an important part of the picture.
>
> My philosophy of picture taking normally goes something like this - "Hey,
> that looks like a good picture" - (snap), and doesn't usually contain the
> concept of telling a story.

I'd be lying if I said I always, or even usually, see the stories in
pics I take when I take them. Many, if not most, are taken in the same
way you describe. It's when working with them later that I consider
cropping and stories come out. When I have a really difficult time
deciding how to crop, I start to wonder if it isn't due to multiple
pictures/stories lurking in there.

SC13 in my Park series is an intentional statement. I was generally
appalled at the unappealing nature, and some downright ugliness, of most
of the sculptures in the sculpture garden. Putting one of the
unappealing, to me, sculptures in front of the beautiful natural objects
was my way of protest (although the luminous quality of the trees lit
with afternoon light and their delicate texture didn't come out as I
wished). Later, I realized that SC14 is of the same nature, not because
of the rather nice examples of one of the rather enjoyable sculptural
elements, the apples, but because of the beautiful tree with a
background of the harsh lines of the museum and a couple of other
sculptures that I didn't much like.

Consciously, SC15 was intended as a whimsical juxtaposition of natural
and humorous sculptural elements. Now I wonder what my unconscious may
have been up to, as well. :-)

SC22 is straightforward protest of something that isn't in it. I was
walking by a piece of sculpture the removal of which would, in my
opinion, significantly improve the beauty of the garden, and saw at my
feet something infinitely more attractive, downright beautiful, lining
the path. So that's what I photographed.

Moose