[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:39:47 -0500
Tom wrote:
>Most changes Windows doesn't care about, including a DVD drive and more
>memory.  Shouldn't count.  The one that will almost guarantee reactivation
>is a network card change.  The Mac address is part of the hash key.

The only reason windoze appears not to care is because you are allowed 3-4
changes before it triggers activation. Some changes count more than others.
Changing things in the bios for different disk configurations can appear as
a hardware change to the drive controller.

Check out http://www.licenturion.com/xp/ What is checked are:

Processor model
processor serial number
ram size
graphics adapter
ide controller
scsi host adapter
harddrive
cd-rom drive
volume serial number
mac address

The dvd drive is often the same as the cdrom drive. Memory size is checked.
You can download XPInfo utility to check what is put in the hash key.
Maybe this has changed??, but once I lost a stick of memory, backed
off to 1gb, and the activation was triggered.

The other solution that works great is VMWare. Get a Debian system
(or your favorite flavor) and get VMWare to run windows. With VMWare
you can just suspend windows, close VMWare. When you startup
VMWare and windows, you are back to exactly where you were.

Photoshop seems to be linked to the unique disk drive serial number.
Photoshop also runs a web access program to check its
servers every time you run PS. (Adobelm_Cleanup.000x from Macrovision)

WayneS