[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:12:48 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Anyhow, the 160GB drives when on sale with rebate for $40 + $30 for a
> USB drive case have proven to have a very low cost/GB.  Hope you got a
> good deal on the big drive.

Seems pretty good to me. $279 for 500 gb with HS USB 2.0, Firewire and
Firewire 800 and some special Firewire extreme mode claimed to run at 90
mb/sec. I could have gotten just HS USB 2.0 for $30 less, but I have a
free firewire port that I can dedicate to it for now, so I only have to
turn it on and off, without fiddling with ports.I also figure I'll
probably have it until I have some machine that can use the super fast
stuff.

Then it can accomodate the growth of digital photo files I'm
accumulating and I can get a multi-terabyte BU for all of them. :-)   Oh
my...

So $0.56 per gb vs. your $0.44, but with added I?O capability I wanted.
And all from the same manufacturer, so any initial problems are their's
to figure out, not mine. Also, and here's the kicker, two of the drives
I want to back up are bigger than 160 gb.

Moose