[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:47:56 -0800
I'm sure not an expert but I'll add my 1/2 cent worth:

- The DVI capable video card is a good idea. Many of the big LCDs require a
DVI to get best (some would say acceptable) performance.

- There is a pretty big price difference between the XPS400 and XPS600.
Probably the differences aren't something that shows up in the specs so it
is hard to know if the cost difference is justified.

- My limited experience is that most companies go with XP Professional. I
don't how XP media center
compares with the other two XP versions.

- I would agree with Scott that Dell's tech support has really gone
downhill. The hardware still seems to be fine. I bought 3 more Dell
computers in the last year.

- You probably don't need a floppy drive. The compact flash cards used in
the E-system provide a good temporary file transport mechanism. Most new
computers will boot from a CD, be sure if necessary you pay the extra $10 to
get the CDs.

- Dell charges a lot for hard disk drives compared to my local prices. It
might not be worth the time and portential frustration but you might save
~$100 by buying the second 250GB hard drive locally and putting it in your
self.

Finally see if any of these coupon codes can save you a couple $.
96HX?LP4V5K7CQ  expires 3/29
KQHRSN84K56W3$ expires 3/29

If you look at the XPS 400 you might start with the E-Value code
6F906-D50311Y

Dell is like a car dealer. Depending upon how you start or even on a couple
options particularly the SERVICE PLAN, the price can vary dramatically. It
is a very frustrating and time consuming shopping exiperience.

-jeff

Finally see if any of the follow
----Original Message Follows----
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)

This is what&#8217;s in the cart right now:

Dell XPS 600: Pentium D processor 830 with dual core technology (3.0GHz,
800FSB)
Operating system: Windows XP Media Center 2005
Memory: 2GB dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 4DIMMs
Monitor: 20-inch UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen digital flat panel
Video card: 256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
Hard drive: 500GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 250GB SATA HDDs)
Floppy drive: 13-in-1 media card reader and 3.5 in. floppy drive
Modem: 56K PCI Telephony modem
CD or DVD drive: Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW drive + 16x DVD+/-RW double layer
write capable

Walt, who needs all the help he can get