[OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:50:54 -0600
> The biggest problem with nearly all the one-hour lab setups is
> inadequate wash times.  The base hasn't cleared enough. This is
> especially important with T400CN and XP2.
>
> AG
Most minilabs aren't connected to water or sewer. They use big plastic
buckets. If the kid is doing his job replacing the water each morning, and
you bring your film in early, you might be OK. Don't bring it in in the
afternoon right after a big holiday.

The chemicals are replenished, but generally not monitored. When was the
last time someone ran a test strip in a minilab? Which minilab doesn't
squeeze out a few extra rolls?

On the other hand, there's a local one hour operation that is trying to
attract pro business. A customer brought a roll of C41 into my friend's lab
for printing, and he happened to be at the counter. He looked at the film
with alarm, and grabbed it and ran to the machine and put it in the fixer.
Apparently it was in the one hour lab's fixer for about a nanasecond. And,
they use a Wing-Lynch. Might have been better off at Walgreens.

Bill Pearce