[OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice
From: bartjew@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:20:15 +0100
Only the 4000 and 5000 take the 35mm roll film adaptor (snail's shell).
The IV and V don't have a hole in the back to let the film pass trough.
I've been using a V for about a year now, and am very satisfied with it,
I haven't used any other though, so there is no compare.

A secondhand 4000 will set you back about the same as a new V.

Wise decisions and good hunting. :)

Bart

Citeren Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Quoting AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > 4. Roll film adaptor. It looks like the Nikon roll-film adaptor
> > will work with the IV, 4000, V and 5000.  I will continue to
> > shoot film and most likely just have it process-only. After
> > scanning, I'll slice and dice the negatives into the poly sheets
> > for archival storage. This would include slide film too.  No
> > need for the mounts.
> >
> > The 4000 and 5000 take the bulk slide loader.  This is a nice
> > feature and something that could pay for itself in time savings.
> > Besides, once I get past the bulk loading phase, I can sell off
> > the loader as I'll then be converted over to uncut film for all
> > future use.
>
> As far as I know, the V won't take the roll film adaptor (it's not listed
> in the
> specs for the V on Nikon USA's site). From the sound of things, that's a
> major
> feature you're looking for. If that's the case then I'd say you need to go
> for
> the 4000 or 5000.
>
> Not sure how well either bulk feeder (slide or roll) works so you might
> want to
> double check on that. For instance, for the slide feeder I'd be concerned
> about
> how well it takes various types of mounts (wouldn't surprise me if
> cardboard
> mounts were a no-no). For the roll film, I'd be interested in how well it
> handles the frame spacing, you'd need to have that correct or else you'd
> have a
> gradual drift as you went through the roll, which could add up to a lot by
> the
> time you got to the 36th or 37th frame.
>
> Something else to consider would be workflow. What software do you plan to
> use
> and how well does it support the scanner and its bulk features? I've had a
> bit
> of trouble with getting Vuescan working with my Canon 9950F but it was
> mostly
> just a question of tweaking things to get the spacing right (and it's a
> flatbed
> so you're working with X and Y spacing), once I got that it was fine.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Tele2 Mobiel: nu gratis nummerbehoud bij bestelling via internet
http://www.tele2mobiel.nl/