[OM] Nikon Scanner Advice

Subject: [OM] Nikon Scanner Advice
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 06:54:29 -0800 (PST)
I need advice here.

I'm hot to trot on the purchase of a new scanner and have pretty
much narrowed it down to the Coolscans 4000, V, and 5000. My
wife wants me to go all the way and get the 5000, but I can't
quite justify that chunk o change. The Minolta 5400E II looked
pretty good but I can neither find them for sale from my trusted
retailers nor am I excited about getting another
dead-manufacturer product.

At issue are the following factors:
1. Huge inventory of existing slides and negatives. Total of
around 20,000 of which 10-20% need to be scanned. (no rush, I
can stretch it out over a couple of years)

2. Dynamic range. The bulk of my slide library are Fujichromes.

3. B&W negatives. I'm shutting down the darkroom, so being able
to do high-quality scans is important.

4. Roll film adaptor. It looks like the Nikon roll-film adaptor
will work with the IV, 4000, V and 5000.  I will continue to
shoot film and most likely just have it process-only. After
scanning, I'll slice and dice the negatives into the poly sheets
for archival storage. This would include slide film too.  No
need for the mounts.

The 4000 and 5000 take the bulk slide loader.  This is a nice
feature and something that could pay for itself in time savings.
Besides, once I get past the bulk loading phase, I can sell off
the loader as I'll then be converted over to uncut film for all
future use.

Is there much of any REAL difference or improvement in scan
quality and ICE between the 4000 and V?  Is the 16-bit 5000
worth the extra dosh?  Is ICE3 ok, or does ICE4 just rock?

Does anybody have a 4000 with/without loaders that they'd be
willing to part with?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Coolscan V from B&H and need
to be talked out of it.  Thanks gang.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com