[OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:14:16 -0800 (PST)
Joel wrote:
> Have you solved the problem of soft edges with the LS20?
> because my understanding is that the problem is endemic to
> all Nikon scanners. Before you fleeced me for the LS20 <gg>,
> I had made significant progress evening out the sharpness by
> moving the focus point in Vuescan,..

The LS20 seemed to be a bit worse than most scanners.  Even the
Olympus scanner blew it away for details.  However I discovered
something along the way.

1. focus point manipulation in Vuescan did help until a software
update about 18 months ago. Ed didn't mention anything about it,
but Vuescan nailed focus after that.

2. A lot of the loss of resolution was due to overscanning. The
LS20 didn't quite get the slide lined up exactly the same for
multiple passes. A single pass resulted in sharper images.

3. Resizing the image in Vuescan. Again, this is something that
was improved about a year ago, but if you had Vuescan do any
resizing of the image the softness was equally applied to the
downsized image.  This pointed to a possible image-processing
engine problem in Vuescan.

4. The LS20 just wasn't the sharpest tack in the corkboard.

Fleece you say?  I just sold it for less than I wanted.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com