[OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon Scanner Advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:03:48 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

>>As far as I know, the V won't take the roll film adaptor (it's
>>not listed in the specs for the V on Nikon USA's site).
>>

>Ok. Houston, we may have a problem.  If the 35mm roll film
>adaptor doesn't work on the V, I'm probably forced to go to a
>used 4000.

I agree. I think buying one that can't use the slide and roll feeders
would be a big mistake with the volume you have.

I have no idea if there is useful imformation available, but you might
look to see if the 5000 is any better for B&W than the 4000. I know
recent high end printers have been improving their B&W capabilities.

>Along with this migration to hybrid, I'll be looking to convert
>from E-6 to C-41 for my film processing.

I started doing that long ago and have completely converted since I got
my own scanner. In a way, it's like shooting RAW, more latitude. On the
other hand getting properly color balanced scans can be trickier than
with slides.

Get an IT8 target and make ICC profiles for all the films you use and as
many of the old ones as possible. It makes a huge difference. It's not
that you can't get it right without a profile, but that it takes up lots
of extra time in the work flow. With a profile and VueScan, which you
use anyway, the scans just pop out of the scanning process with black
and white points, color and contrast already corrected.

Moose