[OM] Re: Another plea for remaining on topic and a bit of hypocrisy on m

Subject: [OM] Re: Another plea for remaining on topic and a bit of hypocrisy on my...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:27:09 -0400
Manuel Viet wrote:

> Scanners (especialy flatbeds) are the most inconvenient computer peripherals
> ;
> they use a lot of valuable desk space, you can't pile anything on top of
> them, and yet you have to manage to keep enough space to prepare the pictures
> you're going to scan.
---------------------------------

I solved my flatbed and film scanner location problems by using a small
shelf unit with adjustable shelves found at the home store for about USD
10.  I'm not sure what it's original purpose was but it's about 30" high
and 12" wide x 12" deep.  It has a top and bottom designed to be rigidly
fastened to the sides and several adjustable shelves.

As I put it together, however, I assembled the bottom piece not at the
bottom but just high enough to clear the top of my computer which is in
a floor standing case at the side of my desk.  I then discarded the
other shelves except one.  (Picture an "H" with two extra cross bars;
one at top and the other between the top and the middle crossbar of the "H")

This give me a little floor standing shelf unit that straddles the
computer case and has shelves at approx. 19", 26" and 30" (the top).
The film scanner goes on the bottom shelf, darkroom gloves (for film
handling) and other miscellany) in the little compartment between the
middle shelf and the top, and the flat bed scanner sits on the top.  The
flat bed sits slightly precariously but it hasn't been a problem.  I
should probably fasten a larger surface to the top to stabilize it but
inertia generally rules around here.  The flatbed makes it difficult to
manuever around my bookcase at that end of the desk but I keep
infrequently used things there and the flatbed can be quickly unplugged
and moved out of the way if needed.

A small piece of plywood or pressed board and a little time at the
radial arm saw could have produced something even better suited but for
USD 10 I couldn't go wrong.

Hope this is of use to someone,
Chuck Norcutt