[OM] Re: enjoying equipment, plea for 50/f1.4 was: Another plea for rema

Subject: [OM] Re: enjoying equipment, plea for 50/f1.4 was: Another plea for remaining on topic and a bit of hypocrisy on my...
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:54:27 +0200
Andrew,

> Now, back to taking this on-topic, this is a huge part of my enjoyment
> of using my OM gear. Using the camera is so simple that I don't have
> to expend a lot of thought on using the camera, I just think about the
> picture I want to take.

Absolutely.  That's the main reason why the 90/f2 is glued to my OM-4Ti.
  It's an adorable lens, I love every second I'm looking through it.

I first had that feeling with my 28/f2.8.  I never had it with the
50/f1.4 that I got together with the 90-OM4 combo, until recently.
Shooting a (wedding) party in a small, "cozily lit" (read: darker than a
bat cave) Turkish restaurant recently gave me full appreciation of that
f1.4.  Instead of one stop difference, it's 1 2/3 actual stops.  I
measured this by measuring the shutter speed at f2.0 of the same scene
with the 90mm and the 50mm.  It must be due to the fact that the 50mm
isn't macro and anyway much simpler to construct.

In any case, the 50/f1.4 is great fun to use.  It's "Leuven Kermis"
(annual fair) at the moment, I'll be taking the 50mm there for some
street photography.  Of course I wanted to take the 90mm at first, then
I thought about the 28mm, but obviously there's only one choice for
street photography.  I never liked standard lenses, and this might just
be about to change.

Peter.