[OM] Monthly theme talks (was: Another plea for remaining on topic...)

Subject: [OM] Monthly theme talks (was: Another plea for remaining on topic...)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:03:09 +1000
>>In a message dated 9/15/2005 6:23:38 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
>>peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>>What we  urgently need is an announcement from Olympus, so everybody can
>>whine  about that.  "Not enough megapixels !  No motion compensation !
>>Doesn't make my coffee !  Too expensive !  Doesn't include the  SUV !"

>Peter, I think you are on to something.  Do you think we are acting  like a
>bunch of bored kids locked inside because its raining outside?  Bill  Barber

I think Bill has hit the nail on the head.  We've pretty well exhausted OM
topics and we've done the digital vs analogue debate to death.  Doesn't
leave much else to discuss except for the weather I suppose.

This past week I've joined another photo mailing list, the Internet
Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), the URL for the list is
http://lists.kjsl.com/mailman/listinfo/idcc if anyone's interested.  Right
now on the list there is a discussion there about their monthly "theme
talks" and what the upcoming themes will be.

As an example, one guy has suggested the following themes:
Theme 1:   the 2, (or 3) rarest cameras in one's collection.
Theme 2:   the strangest camera in one's collection.
Theme 3:   the lowest Serial Number camera in one's collection.
Theme 4:   Prototypes.
Theme 5:   the oldest 35mm camera in one's collection.
Theme 6:   the easiest camera to shoot to obtain top quality pictures.
Theme 7.   the best private collection members have seen or know of.
Theme 8.   the best camera Museum.

I think this is a great idea to stimulate discussion when a list goes
stale.  Maybe we should start something like this, what do we all think?

Andrew McPhee