[OM] Re: Another plea for remaining on topic and a bit of hypocrisy on m

Subject: [OM] Re: Another plea for remaining on topic and a bit of hypocrisy on my...
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:54:33 -0300
On 9/15/05, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peter, I think you are on to something.  Do you think we are acting  like a
> bunch of bored kids locked inside because its raining outside?  Bill  Barber

Personally, I'm thinking I need to start posting some (on-topic)
photos from my time in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. I figure pretty
soon people will start thinking that I just took an 8+ month hiatus
from the list and stayed at home, need to start providing evidence to
the contrary :-).

The reasons for the lack of posting photos indirectly tie in with some
of my thoughts on the whole OM philosophy. I'm finding that my use of
equipment is strongly tied to my enjoyment of using that equipment. A
big part of that is how much work or effort is involved with using the
equipment. What I mean by this is how much of my brain power is going
towards using the tool versus the amount of my brain power being put
towards what I'm using the tool for. This is probably best illustrated
with an example. I learned to touch type many years ago. Through years
of experience (and frequent use), I've gotten very familiar with using
a keyboard to type words. It's to the point where I just think about
what it is that I want to type and I do it, the is little to no
(concious) brain power going towards what keys I have to press in
order to type those words.

In the case of using my scanner, my current computer setup is
inadequate in a number of ways (plan to move in the near future so
this will hopefully be remedied soon). Using my scanner is awkward and
inconvenient; I can do it but it's not enjoyable. This is a due to the
way my computer is setup, not the hardware. Related to this is that I
find working at my home system for long periods of time very
uncomfortable lately. So, the desire to scan film and get the scans to
a point where I can post them online is very low for me.

Now, back to taking this on-topic, this is a huge part of my enjoyment
of using my OM gear. Using the camera is so simple that I don't have
to expend a lot of thought on using the camera, I just think about the
picture I want to take. Yes, technical details like making sure I'm
using a fast enough shutter speed or what aperture do I want to use
will intrude into my thought process but they're quickly dealt with
and I can get back to the task at hand. With my C*n*n body I just
never got to that level of comfort. I'd always have to worry about
making sure I was in the right metering mode, that the camera was
using the right AF point, and so on. A big part of this was also that
the size and weight of the body meant that I wasn't as willing to put
in the time using it to get to that level of comfort.