[OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:02:08 -0700

>It will be interesting to see who Olympus brings to the prom.  I hope  it is
>not that freshman girl he has been dating for the last couple of  years.
>
>I am puzzled as to why Canon would build a camera body with a huge sensor,  a
>pretty fancy price and no environmental seals.  Dust on the sensor is a  big
>problem with every other camera other than the e-1.
>
>Were I sitting on the fence and wanted to use my Olympus lenses, I'd still
>probably go with the e-1 or wait out it successor.  For less than the 5D  body
>would cost me, I could probably buy the e-1, the normal 14-54mm lens and  the
>7-14mm Digital Zuiko.

Bill Barber

Bill,
My understanding is that this camera is targeted to working pros who
need a second large-res body with a full-frame sensor. As such, I
think they are figuring that many of these customers would work in a
studio or other similar environment, where dust sealing as on the 1D
is less of an issue. My guess is that a lot of pros want a second
body, but don't want to spend $8000 for a second IDs MkII. This
camera meets that need perfectly as the EOS 3 did for film shooters
that were using the EOS 1V as their main body.  Additionally, Canon
did consider implementing some form of built in dust control for the
camera along the lines of the E-1, but opted out of that at this
point in time due to the cost that would add to the camera. As they
are only getting about 20-25%  yield of full-frame CMOS sensors
without defects at this point in time, they needed to devote the cost
of the camera to providing the full-frame sensor quality that was the
main specification. The buzz is that Canon will release dust control
in the next generation camera.

It all makes sense....Canon is very good at providing exactly what
customers want at a price point  that is acceptable, yet allows
sufficient profits for them to plow more money into their
next-generation R&D efforts.

Understandably the E-1 would cost less with the lenses you describe,
but you wouldn't be getting  12.8 megapixels in a full-frame sensor,
or the noise performance of the Canon DigicII/CMOS technology. For
pros who need the detail, 5 megapixels  on a 4/3 sensor won't cut it.
Canon knows exactly who they are targeting this camera for.

Cheers,
Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!