[OM] Re: Shooting 160 film at 100 ASA...WAS: New Base for OM Lenses...hm

Subject: [OM] Re: Shooting 160 film at 100 ASA...WAS: New Base for OM Lenses...hmm
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:47:24 -0700
Rob Harrison wrote:

>On 8/22/05 2:23 PM, "alfredo pagliano" <alfredo_pag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Why did You shot at 100, what is the advantage?
>>

>To get a denser negative. At least that's what the guy at Glazers told me.

But did he say for what purpose one might want to do so? A denser neg
will make it easier to pull out deepest shadow detail without noise - at
the expense, as you found out, of more difficult scan/printing of the rest.

>I was actually not very happy with the results, as far as color accuracy went.
>Took a lot of futzing in Photoshop to get it looking close to actual colors.
>I've had much better luck with Reala. I _thought_ that NPS 160 had the same
>4-layer technology, but it didn't look nearly as good as the usual Reala.
>Next time I'll stick with what I know.

Absent a compelling reason, why not shoot at the manufacturer
recommended speed? That is pretty much guaranteed to give the best
results in the vast majority of uses. Shooting archectectural interiors
is not a specialized use requiring specialized treatment of the film.
They don't make those numbers up. They are the result of extensive testing.

If you need to besure of getting detail in dark shadows in a particular
shot, just do the same thing using spot metering or iso compensation,
and shoot one as metered too. That way, the rest of the roll is fine to
deal with.

Moose