[OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:27:50 -0400
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I am puzzled as to why Canon would build a camera body with a huge sensor,  a
> pretty fancy price and no environmental seals.  Dust on the sensor is a  big
> problem with every other camera other than the e-1.

They already have the full frame sensor with high build quality body but
it costs a lot.  This lowers the price significantly and opens the
market for lots of pros around with Canon glass whose cameras almost
never get outside.  This will probably settle out to a $1,000 premium
over the D20 which gives you 12.8 MP vs 8 and allows you to use your
existing wide angle glass.  Sounds like a good deal to me if your only
other alternative is to replace your $1400 16-35 2.8 L lens.

I shoot portraits and events which are almost all inside although I did
almost get dumped on at the last wedding.  Fortunately I made it into
the tent in the nick of time.  It was a sudden gully washer and violent
electrical storm and I'm not sure even the E-1 would have survived that
one without some form of cover.

Lots of people are surviving quite well without dust shakers and seals.
  How well sealed is my OM-2 or 2sp?  I honestly don't know the answer
to that.

Chuck Norcutt
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/>