[OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:26:32 +0100

On 3 Feb 2005, at 00:56, Steve Dropkin wrote:

> Dean Tyler wrote:
>
>> Looking through the archives it appears many of you have been to
>> Tokyo.  I
>> am planning a trip in June.  I am having trouble deciding what part
>> of the
>> city to get a hotel.  Any recommendations?  Also, what are some of
>> your
>> favorite sites to visit?  Of course, I will bring my OM travel kit.
>> I have
>> narrowed it down to 21mm f3.5, 28mm f2, 50mm f2, 85mm f2 and
>> 50-250mm, but
>> lens and film recommendations would be welcome.
>
> It's been a few years ... The only places I ever stayed in Tokyo
> were at Narita airport or in Roppongi. They were clean places to
> sleep, which was all I expected of them. If it's someone else's dime
> and you really liked the movie "Lost in Translation," you could stay
> at the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku. :-)

For the same ambiance, Keio Plaza at Shinjuku is not bad either.
Remember to register in their "club" (free) and you will have free
access to their roof-top salon with a great view over Shinjuku.

> As for sights, well, I rather liked Ueno Park, which, in addition to
> open green spaces (not that easy to come by in Tokyo), has a couple
> of museums and a zoo. For animal sights you won't find much of
> anywhere else, the Tsuikiji fish market is an amazing place -- but
> get there super-early -- like 5:30 or 6 a.m. By 7 most of the
> excitement is gone.

Yeah, that's a good advice. Also, avoid sky-scraber pay-per-visit view
platforms, and go to the metropolitan government office. There, you can
either hate the architecture of the building -- or you can take the
free ride to the top of one of the towers (usually the one on the
right) for a spectacular view over the city.

> The Ginza is something to see, but I would not arrive before dusk --
> the magic is in the lights and the people. Frankly, in daylight it
> looks like any other fancy shopping street in the world. Fine if you
> shop, but ... And I think someone else already mentioned Akihabara.
> It's fun (okay, for me, anyway) to see all kinds of electronics that
> will take years to get to the U.S., if they ever get here at all.

In Ginza, go visit the Sony showroom. It's perfectly adequate for a
rainy day, and they have all sorts of cool stuff -- if you bring kids,
they'll appreciate new and pre-releases of playstation games.

Asakusa is not bad for a visit. There's a beautiful temple-area there
(forgot the name) which is worth a visit at dusk when the lights are
on.

Also, consider going to Yokohama (easy to get to by metro). not only
can you find a famous tattoo-artist (if you're into that stuff -- me, I
am afraid of needles, so...), but you can hitch a hike to a nearby
Sanki-en garden -- a beautiful japanese garden, established by a rich
silk-merchant some centuries ago. Lots of beautiful green, when you'll
be there, and ponds with Koi, tea-salons etc. But please don't come
rushing everyone at once -- it is my favourite retreat when I've spent
a few days getting stressed by the Tokyo rush-hour.

Also Yokohama has a building with the worlds fastest elevator "The
landmark tower". On a good day, there's a view of Fuji-san.

I forgot to mention about Shinjuku: Pentax has a "Pentax Forum" there,
where you can play with all the equimpent they currently make -- as
well as enjoy an expo of all the stuff they've ever made.

Canon also has a showroom, in the same building as Pentax, although
with more new stuff. Olympus...? Well, they've moved their showroom,
and I have no idea where to ;(

--thomas