[OM] Re: Photojournalism (was Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations)

Subject: [OM] Re: Photojournalism (was Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations)
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:37:19 -0700
Moose wrote:
> So, without seeming too naive, why not take all kinds of pics; macros,
> people one knows or gets to know, things of interest, streets with
> people one doesn't know, etc.?

  The thing is that I don't deliberately set out to take the same sorts
of photos as I always take, I just wind up doing so by accident -- so I
think deliberately trying to exclude the 'default' shots that I'd
otherwise end up with is probably the only way to avoid slipping back
into bad habits.

 >>or you just end
 >>up with a nice photo of (say) the Eiffel Tower with a bunch of people
 >>standing in the way of it.
> As I recall, the Eiffel Tower is a bit taller than most people. I think
> it looks quite natural with bunches of people around it, and they really
> won't block much of the the view.

  Oh, sure, I know there's nice ways to take photos of monuments -- but
here's the sort of thing I'm thinking of: (just googling for eiffel
tower pictures) -- a couple of photos of the tower and people, but the
first one feels like a snapshot, whereas the second one is that bit better.

http://unicast.org/mblog/images/blog-photo-1056034918.54-0.jpg-orig.jpg
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/239/975/f/2061-The-Eiffel-Tower-on-Bastille-Day-0.jpg

  -- dan