[OM] Re: Photojournalism (was Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations)

Subject: [OM] Re: Photojournalism (was Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:23:17 -0800
Daniel Mitchell wrote:

>Andrew McPhee wrote:
>

>>Next holiday I go on I'm going to treat it like a photojournalism
>>assignment.  I'm going to try to take more pictures of the 'people' instead
>>of the 'places and things'.  I'm going to try and capture the essence of a
>>city by placing people in it rather than trying to exclude them and ending
>>up with a bunch of tourist photos.
>>

>  That's another very good point, though again taking photos with people
>in them is yet another skill that I lack. I agree, though, in general I
>(also, sigh) regret not having taken as many photos with people as the
>subject, or at least as a major part of the image. The problem is that
>it does require a deliberate effort to get it to work, or you just end
>up with a nice photo of (say) the Eiffel Tower with a bunch of people
>standing in the way of it.

So, without seeming too naive, why not take all kinds of pics; macros,
people one knows or gets to know, things of interest, streets with
people one doesn't know, etc.?

As I recall, the Eiffel Tower is a bit taller than most people. I think
it looks quite natural with bunches of people around it, and they really
won't block much of the the view.

Moose