[OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:56:35 -0800
Dean Tyler wrote:

>Somewhere on the web I saw a grip (I think it was made for a leica) that had
>a lens mount on the bottom to carry an extra lens.  I thought it was a cool
>idea.  The contacts on my MD-1 fried last month and I was thinking of
>gutting the MD-1 and somehow attaching a manual extension tube to the bottom
>to carry an extra lens.  Any suggestions on securing the manual tube to the
>bottom of the drive?

I don't know what the bottom of the drive is like. Depending on what it
is like, I would attach female mounts directly or to a piece of aluminum
plate which would attach to the MD with a standard 1/4-20 machine screw
into the tripod socket.

For the mounts, I would use the very cheap and plentiful old 4 element
telextenders. One of the most common is the Vivitar 2X-21, readily
available and cheaper than an extention tube. They are old enough to be
all metal. The back (male) mount and innards can be removed as one piece
with the removal of 3 screws. That leaves an aluminum tube about 22 mm
deep, with a female lens mount on one end and a nice flat rear with 3
threaded holes in it. There is also a baffle inside, which won't get in
the way, but is only held in by a snap ring and spots of glue, if you
want to remove it.

The thickness of the rear mount plate is 4 mm and, at least on the one I
checked, the scew holes are quite deep. So one can simply mark the
location of the rear mount screws, drill through the mounting plate and
use the same screws for a plate between about 1 and 4mm in width.

That's the easy way. A more ambitious approach would be to shorten the
tube, as the full lengh isn't really needed. Others have pointed out
before tht this TE can easily be turned into a 21 mm auto exention tube
by simply removing the optical elements. Not the best (nor worst) TE
made, but remarkably versatile.

Moose