[OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:56:29 -0600
Dean Tyler wrote:

> Looking through the archives it appears many of you have been to Tokyo.  I
> am planning a trip in June.  I am having trouble deciding what part of the
> city to get a hotel.  Any recommendations?  Also, what are some of your
> favorite sites to visit?  Of course, I will bring my OM travel kit.  I have
> narrowed it down to 21mm f3.5, 28mm f2, 50mm f2, 85mm f2 and 50-250mm, but
> lens and film recommendations would be welcome.

It's been a few years ... The only places I ever stayed in Tokyo
were at Narita airport or in Roppongi. They were clean places to
sleep, which was all I expected of them. If it's someone else's dime
and you really liked the movie "Lost in Translation," you could stay
at the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku. :-)

As for sights, well, I rather liked Ueno Park, which, in addition to
open green spaces (not that easy to come by in Tokyo), has a couple
of museums and a zoo. For animal sights you won't find much of
anywhere else, the Tsuikiji fish market is an amazing place -- but
get there super-early -- like 5:30 or 6 a.m. By 7 most of the
excitement is gone.

The Ginza is something to see, but I would not arrive before dusk --
the magic is in the lights and the people. Frankly, in daylight it
looks like any other fancy shopping street in the world. Fine if you
shop, but ... And I think someone else already mentioned Akihabara.
It's fun (okay, for me, anyway) to see all kinds of electronics that
will take years to get to the U.S., if they ever get here at all.

Take the subway (clean and easy to navigate, even for non-speakers
of Japanese, but avoid rush hour). Keep your wits about you as you
would in any large city, but enjoy the fact that Tokyo is one of the
safest cities around. And, if you can, get out of Tokyo for a day or
so. If all you see is Tokyo, you haven't seen Japan.

Camera gear? You've got a fine start. Most of the pictures I took
were outdoors. I can't recall anything I really would have wanted a
long lens for. If you're really pinched for space, I'd drop the 21mm
f3.5 and either the 85mm f2 or the zoom from your kit. Maybe add a
macro lens if you have one (but, then, that's the kind of
photography I like to do).

Have fun! I wish I were going!

Steve