[OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:13:45 +0100

On 2 Feb 2005, at 18:11, Dean Tyler wrote:

> Looking through the archives it appears many of you have been to
> Tokyo.  I
> am planning a trip in June.  I am having trouble deciding what part of
> the
> city to get a hotel.  Any recommendations?  Also, what are some of your
> favorite sites to visit?  Of course, I will bring my OM travel kit.  I
> have
> narrowed it down to 21mm f3.5, 28mm f2, 50mm f2, 85mm f2 and 50-250mm,
> but
> lens and film recommendations would be welcome.

I've always enjoyed Toyoko-inn, hotels (they have a WWW-site and free
Internet access). If you like to sample (either as active participant
or by just strolling through) the high-energy-part of Tokyo, I suggest
Toyoko-Inn Kabukicho, not so far from Shinjuku station.

Incidentially, this is also close to the big camera stores in Tokyo
(BIC camera, and a host of others). Bargains can be had....

Tokyo is a great city, and I always enjoy going back there
(fortunately, I get to go about 3-4 times/year for work). And the
citizens of Tokyo are the most friendly in a world: take your tourist
guide, open it and stand for a few minutes outside a train-station
while looking clueless -- you'll get plenty of offers to help. I had an
elderly japanese gentleman walk with me for 20 min to help me find my
destination once I had problems dechipering Kanji....

I'd probably lose the zoom -- the longest I've realistically used in
Tokyo is 100mm, with 77mm (Pentax Limited -- yes, I know, herecy!)
being the most common lens, followed by 31mm....

If you are going to go temple-visiting, think "fast, before long". If
you have a 55/1.2 or 50/1.2, you will appreciate it. I fully approve of
the 21mm and 85/2 also ;)

Don't forget a monopod and pol-filter, learn to duck into
subway-stations (which are air-con'ed) when sweaty from walking the
streets. Do not miss day-trips to Kamakura and Nikko temples (but avoid
"organized tours" by all means, unless you like feeling like a cattle
on a string). Eat syabu-syabu (check the restaurant "Mo-Mo Paradise"
near Shinjuku station -- next to Isetan) "a volonte" for almost no
money. Try onsen or sento -- no, it ain't to eat, it's traditional
communal baths. Unless you're from California, being naked in a social
context may take some getting used to, but the reward -- soaking in a
pool of boiling water -- is the best way to relax after a hectic day.

And most important: okinawan whiskey is cheap, and does not give you a
hangover tomorrow ;)

--thomas