[OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Slightly OT Tokyo recommendations
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:33:53 -0700
Moose wrote:

>Now tell me, has Pirates of the Carribean changed since I was there? If
>not, there should be lots of folks with flash P&S and disposable
>cameras. Just set on TTL auto and a reasonable f-stop, trip the shutter
>and wait for a nice flash from someone around you.

  That's an interesting idea, though I don't know that I'd have the
patience to wait it out. I forget if there were cameras, but I do
definitely remember two weird bobbing lights that looked as if there
were lanterns hanging from the boat in front of us -- and it took me
until about halfway through the ride to realise that they were the
glowing screens from people's camcorders..

>If that doesn't close
>the shutter, just flip to manual and back. One of the best indoor, low
>light shots I ever took was done partially by somone else's flash.
>Wonderful mix of candlelight and flash. It's a bit hit or miss, of
>course, so try lots of exposures. A little flash of your own wouldn't
>hurt either?

 Yeah, I'm sure I could have taken less grainy photos with "better"
colour if I'd used flash, but I wanted to see how far I could push my
luck without it -- it's not a well-lit ride, after all, most of the
atmosphere comes from the dim lighting, so that was what I was trying to
reproduce in the shots. The problem is that what I really need is
ISO12800 film or IS, and even IS only goes so far given that I'm sitting
in a moving boat.

 -- dan