[OM] Digital DOF [was: E-1 + manual Zuiko]

Subject: [OM] Digital DOF [was: E-1 + manual Zuiko]
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:25:46 -0700
Peter Klein wrote:
> At www.wrotniak.net,  Andzrej reports his E-300 gives the
> same effect as Moose noticed.

  One other interesting thing I found on there, from
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/index.html --

"The depth of field of a digital camera with a lens of the 1:N focal
length equivalence ratio at a given F-setting is the same as that of a
35 mm camera with a lens closed down to the aperture number of F
multiplied by N."

  This ties into C.H.Ling's reports that an E1 adds a stop, because an
E1 is a 2:1 lens converter factor, which is also a stop. That means that
on my Coolpix4500, which has a conversion factor of 4.84, the lens is
"effectively", as far as DOF goes, a 35-155/f12-24. That would explain
why I have such pain trying to get subjects isolated from the background..

  On the other hand, if I shoot macro stuff stopped all the way down, I
have (for DOF purposes) a 72mm/f46 lens, which explains why it's so good
for that.

  -- dan