[OM] Re: OM] Re: E1 + manual Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Re: OM] Re: E1 + manual Zuiko
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:51:31 -0800
Peter Klein wrote:

>The metering tends to be off at the widest and narrowest stop or two.  It
>also varies a little bit with the type of metering.  With my 50/1.4
>wide-open, I have to add +1/3 stop compensation.  At f/2.8, it's right
>on.  The image gradually brightens as you stop down further, with respect
>to the in-camera aperture priority metering, either center-weighted or
>"ESP" (pattern).  At f/16, it's gotten too bright for what the metering
>says.  It's fine in the middle range.
>
>Interestingly, our own Moose reported the opposite effect on his
>much-lauded 300D--overexposure wide-open and slight underexposure fully
>closed down.

Now, now, I just posted in favor of the E-1, or at least neutral, on
sensor size.

>At www.wrotniak.net,  Andzrej reports his E-300 gives the
>same effect as Moose noticed.

Yes, the effect is real <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/300Dexp.jpg>. It
would be nice if an E-1 user would post a similar example.

>Basically, the OM Zuikos I've tried work quite well if you're willing to
>put up with manual focusing on a small, plain screen, and stop-down
>metering.  The digital Zuikos are probably better in most cases, but if you
>already have OM Zuiks, why not use them?

Also a way to start out without a massive monetary commitment. There are
a lot of longer teles and other sepcialized OM mount lenses that either
don't have digital counterparts yet or where the digital versions are
quite expensive.

>Olympus' disclaimers may be due to not wanting to support the metering
>inconsistencies, and to avoid dealing with people who diss the camera because
>some people don't understand that most wide-open lenses are not perfectly
>sharp.

Makes sense to me. this effect could be compounded by the fact that a
fair number of digital lenses are actually at their best wide open or
just a stop down, quite different than older designs.

Moose