[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:10:26 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>Moose, I think we were talking about 1Ds not 1Ds Mark II.

No, this is a current review of the Mark II in the February Pop Photo
that arrived a few days ago.

>I'm curious if 1Ds MK II can resolve 115lp/mm even it has a B/W sensor, its
>vertical pixel count is 3328, that means 138 pixel/mm, the max lp is 78 and
>it is the best the sensor can make, it will be less in reality.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think the sampling rate vs. detail
resolved theory is that simple, but I know little about it other than
that the posts on the subject sometimes make me want to take a little
lie down. In any case, I suppose they are looking at empirical results
like the resolution targets dpreview publishes, not theoretical values.
And I think we have to assume their testers have a fair idea what they
are doing, with experienced personnel and a good lab. So, if they can
resolve something above a calculated limit, perhaps the limit isn't correct?

>Anyway, I will not argue for a good 16MP sensor, I also think it will be close
>or same as film in resolution.

Just quoting the review in the magazine in front of me, but I think so also.

>I don't think I have any lens that can resolve 100lp/mm either, I tested my
>Zuikos in 91' and the best at that time was 50/3.5 at F5.6 which resolved
>over 70lp/mm.
>
>For film resolution, I checked Fuji website some years ago, Velvia can make
>80lp/mm for 1:1.6 contrast target and 160lp/mm for 1:1000 target. I didn't
>see any negative that had the same resolution at the moment.

Well, as I said, Pop Photo's methodology is a mystery to me and the
meager results data they publish leave more questions than answers. The
thing this all started with was a forlorn expressed hope that digital
would never surpass film and a mean Moose quoting PP as saying the event
has already occurred. Whatever the details of their methodology, digital
for the first time exceeded the best performance they had ever recorded
for film.

Moose