[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:02:46 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> They specifically mention color negative film with resolution of 2,400
> "lines". I believe this is using the new spec of LPH, Lines per Picture
> Height, used in comparing sensors of different sizes. Since both film
> and this sensor are the same size, numbers are even more directly
> comparable and can be converted to lpmm (I assume they mean line
> pairs?). The 1Ds MII measured at 2760Vx2810Hx2200D
>
> 2400/ 24 = 100 film
>
> 2760/ 24 = 115 Vertical
> 2810/ 24 = 117 Horizontal
> 2200/ 24 =  92 Diagonal

Moose, I think we were talking about 1Ds not 1Ds Mark II.

I'm curious if 1Ds MK II can resolve 115lp/mm even it has a B/W sensor, its
vertical pixel count is 3328, that means 138 pixel/mm, the max lp is 78 and
it is the best the sensor can make, it will be less in reality. Anyway, I
will not argue for a good 16MP sensor, I also think it will be close or same
as film in resolution.

>>I always have the impression that slide (slow one like Velvia 50) is
>>better than color negative (any ISO100 commercial film) in resolution.
>>
> Well, I certainly don't know, any more than I know details of their
> tests, like what lens the used. I don't think I have any with 100+
> resolution. They probably published something about their tests in
> another issue. Anyway, it seems they disagree with you, but who knows
> what film they are using. I could never figure why slide film would have
> better resolution. After all, it starts by being developed as neg, then
> goes through further processing to reverse the image.

I don't think I have any lens that can resolve 100lp/mm either, I tested my
Zuikos in 91' and the best at that time was 50/3.5 at F5.6 which resolved
over 70lp/mm.

For film resolution, I checked Fuji website some years ago, Velvia can make
80lp/mm for 1:1.6 contrast target and 160lp/mm for 1:1000 target. I didn't
see any negative that had the same resolution at the moment.

C.H.Ling