[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:45:04 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> C.H.Ling wrote:
>
>> Nothing can break the physics rule, you NEED at least two pixel to
>> resolve
>> one line pair
>>
> I believe this is true with 'lines' one pixel long. In the case of a
> set
> of light/dark line pairs many pixels in length, and not exactly
> parallel
> to the lines of pixels (which is essentially always the case in any ral
> world application), and especially the converging lines in the test
> target used in this case, I believe the eye can distinguish separate
> lines at a smaller separation than the pixel pitch.

You'll have to convince a Mr. Nyquist and a Mr. Shannon of that, first!

What you'll actually see is a moire, or heterodyne -- the difference
(the sum is low-passed out) between the line frequency and the sampling
frequency.

:::: People should be free to speak their mind, but not to invent their
own history.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>