[OM] Not even a footnote

Subject: [OM] Not even a footnote
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:05:22 -0800 (PST)
I was at the local purveyer of fine photographic goods and
glanced in the used camera cabinet. I saw something that caused
me to think about the current state of the camera industry.

There was not one, not two, but seven used EOS mount film
bodies.

If I remember right there was a rebel, three various 600 series
bodies, a 700 series body and two EOS-1 bodies (one an N).

Canon has introduced so many EOS mount bodies through the years
that most of them are lost in history. With the exception of the
Rebel and the EOS-1 bodies, all others were "the next best
thing" which were quickly subplanted by the next followup model.

All were fine cameras, no doubt.  But Canon, went the route of
rapid development and product introduction with a new EOS body
every four to six months. The end result is that most of these
bodies were incremental improvements over the previous model.
With the exception of the EOS-1 and the Rebel, most of these
bodies are barely remembered and none are revered.

History is continuing to repeat itself. DSLR development is
rapid and incremental. These camera de jours are short-term
solutions and rapidly heading towards being erased from history.

Nikon and Olympus can't keep pace with Canon's incremental
improvements as history shows that their modular design
methodology allows them to always slipstream improvements in to
stay one step ahead of the competition. However, when Nikon has
introduced the next version, they usually create one that is
quite memorable and instantly becomes a "classic" in the
timeline of history.  With the exception of the F4, this has
been true.

A quick study of history is allowing me to look beyond the glitz
of the 20D or even the D70 and keep things in perspective.

AG

http://my.yahoo.com