[OM] Re: Analog Forever

Subject: [OM] Re: Analog Forever
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:34:59 -0800 (PST)
> Now I don't know just what this means, but the confluence of
> numbers
> with those in the Pop Photo review leads me to conclude both
> are using
> the same measure. On the dpreview site, you can see how these
> numbers
> are derived by observation of an image of a test target. Just
> click on
> the target to see the whole thing.

For what it's worth, I've photographed the same chart with the
Zuikos.  Using a fine grained film, such as Delta 100 or PanF+
I'm getting max resolution with a couple of my lenses.

I'm thinking that the limitations aren't the recording medium,
but the lenses and how we're using them. Today's digital lenses
are EXTREMELY sharp. Are they sharper than my zuikos?  In many
cases, yes.  My 100/2.8 and the 50/3.5 will max out on the res
chart.  The 24/2.8 and 35/2.8, 135/3.5 and 200/4 are about
equivelent to an average 5-6mp camera and will top out around
1400-1500 Vertical lines.

How close to extinction with the film grain?  Even with the
sharpest lens, at the finest detail, there are at least 20
visible film grains making up the transition. (Delta 100). There
is absolutely no way MY lenses will come close to what Delta 100
is able to record.  Even if I'm conservative and say that it
takes 5 grains to adequately record a contrast change, that
means that Delta 100 is still records 4x more resolution than a
6mp sensor.

With color films, all bets are off. Digital is *almost* a slam
dunk.  Especially when compared to Provia/Velvia 100F.  It ain't
as sharp as Velvia 50.  I don't think ANY current color neg film
will match digital.  Ektar 25 was another story, though.

AG

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250