[OM] Re: Olympus Trouble

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Trouble
From: Ali Shah <farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:39:56 -0500
Just like any "new" technology....the market gets flooded with the
products. Manufacturers shove it down the consumers throat.....while
people like yourselves recognize Olympus as an outstanding
product....the general consumer has heard of  "N*kon", "C*non), and the
rest go for Sony, Kodak, or less expensive brands like Fuji/HP/etc. I am
not sure if back when the OM's were introduced or any SLR for that
matter...they were "shoved" in the consumers face at such a forceful and
rapid pace.  Furthermore, the technology continously changes now....and
thus they continued to be force fed down the average consumers throat.
Eventually they will (if not already) become like the PC.....just a
commodity. There is no personality in the PC.....there will be no
"personality" in the digital camera.

Recently I came across a beautiful Zeiss IKON Contessa....while looking
for info the net on this particular camera...a writer mentioned that
once you handle this camera you may never go back to a modern electronic
whizbang type of camera. The Contessa is well built with brass and metal
fittings...you certainly wouldn't find a digital camera with such a feel.

My point is that the market is just muddled with digital camera's and
unfortunately, Olympus is perhaps lagging behind. They need a better
marketing scheme to win over the average consumer.

- Ali