[OM] Re: Olympus Trouble

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Trouble
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:12:46 +0000
Strangely enough Ford have stated that they will be staying on in
rallying for another 4 years and have unveiled the new (quite sublime)
Focus 2005 WRC. Its probably because they're actually doing really well,
especially with drivers of immense talent like Markko Martin and and
Francois Duval. As for Olympus sponsoring F1 I think their best advert
has to be on the (joint) best looking F1 car ever, the Lotus-Ford 79
(the Gurney-Eagle T1G is the other, no competition! ;-)):

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/lotus79.htm
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=pic.php&imagenum=2&carnum=278

OK its a bit OT but there is an image with Oly on it!

All the best,
Gareth.

Andrew McPhee wrote:
> Don't talk to me about Jaguar (or Ford), they are on the nose in the
> Formula One world right now because of FoMoCo's decision to axe the Jaguar
> team from F1 because of a downturn in the car market.
>
> Ford has an illustrious F1 heritage but in taking this step they are
> throwing it into the dustbin of history, and they've taken the Jaguar name
> down with it.  For the past few seasons they have cut the team's budget
> dramatically and wondered why the team wasn't performing.  The team
> management has worked wonders this past year in spite of the lack of funds
> they punched above their weight, they were just starting to turn things
> around when the rug was pulled from under them.
>
> Car companies use motorsport to sell cars (the operative word being
> USE).  They come into the sport because their marketing gurus say it's a
> good thing to be involved in but they aren't prepared to see it through and
> spend the necessary dollars to make a success of it.
>
> But motorsport fans have longer memories than car company execs do - and we
> resent the sport being used in such a cynical way, fans are the reason the
> sport exists.  Because of the beancounters enforcing this pullout there are
> a lot of F1 fans who are NEVER going to buy a Ford product again, so if
> they were worried they weren't selling enough cars now they are going to
> find out that it's only going to get worse, we'll be buying their
> competitor's products (the ones still supporting racing).
>
> Obligatory OM content: Olympus is currently a sponsor of the Ferrari F1 team
> http://www.olympus-racing.com/olympus_f1/olympus_f1.php?lang=uk
> ...and they have been involved as a sponsor of motorsport for nearly 30 years.
>
> Andrew McPhee
>

> At 10:31 PM 10/11/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>Hi Steve:
>>
>>Ouch! The new mustang has a Jaguar V8 motor, 280 plus HP and a redline it
>>will reach at close to 7000, an obvious target for an upgrade to the 289.:-)
>>I still prefer the Lincoln LS variant the best.
>>
>>Gord

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol
BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
bluesteel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

Support Mozilla Firefox:

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible
is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not
wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke