[OM] Re: Olympus Trouble

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Trouble
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:51:00 -0800
Most of the pictures I take don't require fast reflexes nor fast focus. I
also almost always use a tripod. The benefits of AF & IS aren't normally
there for me. If you are really talking about covering a wider variety of
subjects then motor drive would come into the picture too. However that
would almost surely affect the percentage.

In addition going beyond just a "modern film camera" having instant review
capability of a digital leads me to take a lot of pictures to adjust fill
flash etc rather than carefully spot meter and think ahead of time. After
enough trials I get what I want - indeed perhaps a keeper I wouldn't have
got otherwise. I would agree having more capability doesn't have to lead to
a lower percentage but if you change the cost of a bad photo, you will
almost certainly change the percentage. If the features encourage you to
attempt pictures you wouldn't normally take, you will probably end up with a
few more keepers but even more rejects. It is also common for me to develop
habits/techniques that save time most of the time giving good results but
which I end up mis-applying (auto exposure). Add a couple more auto, don't
need to think most of the time, features and I can easily imagine missing
pictures I wouldn't have missed.

What really made my mind say "wait a minute" is that my Mamiya 7 II is
hardly an old camera. It works very well for what I do. I suspect none of
the people that buy it, care very much about autofocus nor IS. You can argue
that it is not a modern camera but then it seems you are saying that unless
a camera is made to focus quickly and aid telephoto image stability it's not
modern.

-jeff