[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:42:21 -0700
Wayne Culberson wrote:

>Okay, so I guess I don't really understand the OM4t, as I thought it could
>give several spot meterings, distributed around the frame.

Like the 2s in Manual mode, the 4 series bodies only do spot metering in
the center of the view-screen. What they add/change is the ability to
push the spot button up to 8 times and have the camera auto average
those readings. You can also point the spot to an area you want to come
out black and push the Shadow button or an area you want white and push
the Highlight button.

>Yes, but if the lighting has changed, such as happens when the clouds
>lighten or darken quickly, then the shutter speed or aperture needs
>changing. Remember I was talking about shooting in manual mode. So if you're
>waiting for that slack in the breeze, and you need to check the lighting
>again once in a while, its a real pain if the display has timed out when
>you've already advanced the film, and have a cable release on....

What you can do here(with either 2s or 4 series body) is to find the exposure
you want based on your manual spot readings, switch to auto and adjust to the
speed you want with the exposure compensation dial. With the offset between
auto and adjusted exposure set, Auto Mode will then track your desired exposure
with changes in overall lighting. So unless the lighting in different parts of
the subject change in ratio, unlikely with macro subjects, Auto works for you.
You can then wait for things to settle down, the light to change back, etc. and
shoot when ready. No need to check exposure until the next shot.

Waiting for the subject to settle down from a breeze is fun, no? They make
little gadgets that attach to camera or tripod and to the subject to steady it.
I sometimes stick a bamboo stake in the ground so it puts some tension on the
stem just outside the frame to steady it. This
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Garden04/pages/3649_04.htm> and the next 3
were done that way. On the next one, I'm not sure if I didn't do the the stake
or just blew it.  :-)

Moose