[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:30:04 -0500
Wayne:
Check out the current line of Bogen (Manfrotto) tripods:
   http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=2

You're likely looking for something in the 3021 class of size and load
bearing capability.  The successor to the 3021, the 3021PRO has some
interesting features including a triangular cross-section center column
that can be pulled out and mounted horizontally across the top . . . the
arm you're looking for that extends to the side.  Also has four leg angle
positions.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=2&itemid=766

There are a number of "3021" variants currently being made.  The 3021N has
the same center column design as the "PRO" but it can't be remounted
horizontally.  However, the end on which the head mounts comes off the
center column and can be mounted onto the legs without the rest of the
column; allows it to get to very nearly ground level with the legs splayed out.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=2&itemid=765

The 3021 series is significantly sturdier, taller (and somewhat heavier)
than the popular 3011 Bogen yet they're still light enough to be classed a
"field" tripod.  I use my older one with medium format gear without any
stability or rigidity problems.  When I bought mine a number of years ago,
the next step up from the 3021 was significantly heavier with a geared
column . . . not one I would consider a "field" tripod.  Aside from silver,
they come in black and some of their tripods are also available in green.

OM-4[T,ti] versus OM-2S[sp]:
If you use the OM-2S in AE mode very nearly all the time, and are satisfied
with its center-weighted metering, you're not likely to notice much
difference.  Indeed, that's why I bought the OM-2S when I found one in EX+
condition . . . a backup to the OM-4 that behaved and handled nearly
identically in center-weighted AE mode.  IMHO the desirability of an
OM-4[T,ti] would be its multi-spot metering mode, ability to shift metering
to a high-key point or low-key point in the scene and use it, and being
able to do all the same stuff in Manual mode (versus the OM-2S Manual mode
spot metering only).  For me, the OM-4 and OM-2S center-weighted AE mode
has performed so well under nearly all conditions that using some other
mode on the OM-4 beyond the OM-2S metering is rare, and involves lighting
conditions I characterize as exotic . . . beyond unusual.

The one difference for me in switching between the two has been shutter
timing, and that only comes into play when working candids, PJ, editorial,
etc., to precisely capture a "decisive moment."  The OM-4[T,ti] does not
have as long a lag between pressing shutter release and shutter
travel.  It's not that one works better than the other, it's the slightly
different timing.  If I switch bodies in the middle of shooting things like
this, it can take a few shots to become accustomed to the slightly
different timing (if you see it through the viewfinder, it isn't on the film).

-- John Lind

At 07:37 AM 6/26/04, Wayne Culberson wrote:

>I know this has been discussed a lot in the past, but I've just let most of
>it go by without paying attention. What I need is advice on a good tripod
>that  lowers closer to the ground, and possibly one that has an arm that can
>be extended to the side, and one that is really sturdy. Weight isn't really
>a concern, so it can be heavy, just not too pricy.  Also, someone a while
>back was advertising a ballhead for sale, which I should have bought.
>Contact off-list if it is still for sale.

[snip]