[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:27:28 -0300

> I rarely ever blow an exposure with the
> OM-2S.
>
> It comes down to working methods and subject matter.  To me, the
> OM-2S is a much better handling camera than the OM-4x.  But when
> stuck on a tripod and using B&W film, the OM-4x gives metering
> features that are quite superior.  For what it's worth, my
> darkroom meter by RH Designs operates almost identically to the
> OM-4x.
>
> The OM-2S has one other extremely slick feature:  In manual
> exposure mode, the meter is continous spot meter.  It's way easy
> to just swing the camera across several points of interest and
> eyeball the meter reading.  No button presses necessary.

This is the reason I was considering the OM4t. When shooting handheld with
the 2s, I just swing the spot to whatever in the scene I want to meter from,
or try 2 or 3 different ones for comparison. But with the camera on tripod,
and trying to frame a small subject it's not so easy to swing to different
spots in the scene. It seems with precise framing of macro subjects,
deciding depth of field, etc., it might be easier to be able to take the
spot reading off different points in the frame without having to move the
camera once everything else is set. I find it a bit annoying, especially if
there is say a white or yellow flower filling the center spot on the 2s, so
one has to swing to a green leaf or something more middle gray in tone. And
I don't trust auto modes for that sort of scene. I can almost always get the
metering on even with slide film, it's just that it's slower, especially if
the lighting is changing on the typical overcast day, and there is some
breeze to work around, which means waiting for the flower to settle down,
etc. Maybe it might be easier and cheaper to use the 1n and a gray card, but
then you're dealing with that light coming in the backside of the camera. (I
wear glasses. I can change it a full stop just by cupping my hand beside my
face to block moe light from the side).

> I've never been able to understand exactly why, but the OM-2S
> feels different in the hand than the OM-4.  Both are nearly
> identical.  It's similar to how the OM-2n feels different than
> the OM-2S.

I have the extra grip on my 2s, which makes it a bit better even than the
OMPC in my opinion. Never held a 2n or 4.

> Don't sell the OM-2S short.  You didn't do wrong getting the
> 5050.  But you didn't do right not getting the OM-4Ti either.
>
> In my book the OM-2S is the finest OM body made because of the
> balance between features and ultimate control efficiency.  This
> is a "blindfold" camera if there ever was one.  To bad they
> never made a titanium bodied version with low battery drain.
>
> AG

I don't worry any more about the battery drain with the price of 357's
online. Mine has the green led, and I wouldn't be bothered to have it
changed.
I just wish there was some way to turn the display on for the afternoon,
when shooting macro. It's not so handy if it times itself off, and you have
a cable release attached, and already have the film advanced, and are
waiting for the wind to slacken, and the cloud lightens a bit.
Wayne