[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:26:01 -0300

> I strongly recommend some non-rushed time spent on a non busy day at a
> retailer with lots of tripods. It's really easy to be mislead about
> tripods and heads just reading about them. Hands on is the only way to
> really appreciate the differences and what they mean to you. I did this
> and ended up buying both a tripod and a head that I'd never heard of
> before. And I'm quite happy with what I got. I just HATED a head I'd
> been all excited about from reading research. I've since added the 410
> head for macro, but prefer the ball head I got when doing general
> photography.

That is one luxury I don't have though. Where I live, there really isn't a
good store with several tripods to compare, so that is one reason I really
appreciate the opinions here. I'll probably have take someone's
recommendation, then snag something off epay, or order through the mail.

>  From what you say, you do a lot of the same kind of macro that I do. I
> can use a ball head for it, but find a geared head far superior. The
> Bogen/Manfrotto 410 is just perfect for the setup you have. I gather
> it's different with the big, expensive ball heads, but the modest ball
> heads I have don't make and hold fine positioning changes easily. What I
> find great for general photography is not well suited to macro. With the
> 405 (or its big bro 410), precise framing is a joy. It adjusts easily
> and precisely.

I'd wondered about that too with ballheads. It has to have the ability to
tighten exactly where I want it to, not move a couple millimeters when
tightened. I want it for outside work at 1:1 or even beyond that if
possible, and there's not much to come and go on when framing at that ratio.

> Yup, longer is much better for natural subjects outdoors. The 50/3.5s
> that are so wonderful for copy work drive me crazy outside. The 135/4.5
> is also great, but doesn't go quite close enough on the 65-116, so a
> bellows is needed for me.
>Moose

Those are 2 more Zuikos I haven't had yet either.
Wayne