Re: [OM] Olympus E-1, a dealer's perspective

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-1, a dealer's perspective
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:20:49 -0800

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 04:06 PM, Andrew Dacey wrote:

If we're going to compare apples to apples, we should be factoring in any multiplication factors for the digitals we're talking about. With the Canon, it's 1.6 I believe. Canon does make a 400/2.8 which would be an effective 640/2.8 with their digital system, so there is an aprox 600/2.8 option from Canon. I'm not sure what the multiplication factor for Nikon digitals is but they also make a 400/2.8 so if it's similar to Canon's then they'd also have
a 600/2.8 optoin. Granted, both of these options would be heavier than
Olympus' 600/2.8 offering (which is one of the big advantages of the 4/3 system). The prices for these lenses are 6499.95 for the Canon and 7699.95
for the Nikon so that's around the same price as Olympus' option.

I could not agree more. In addition, you can plunk the Canon or Nikon onto your film camera and use it, if you own one of those.

However, I am going to say that I was thinking about this too simply. I was
just thinking that a 300/2.8 should cost around the same as any other
300/2.8 in terms of you're getting a 300/2.8's worth of glass, regardless of the actual FOV on your chosen system (a 600mm lens uses a LOT of glas so it's going to cost a lot more). I was neglecting to figure in the cost of developing a lens and any other associated costs. Part of the price is going to be a portion of these costs. The lens may have similar production costs as any other 300/2.8 but they're only going to have the sales volume for a 600/2.8 lens (which is going to be much smaller). Because of this, they're
going to have to increase the price to cover their costs.

On the other hand it is a 300mm lens with a small image circle. It will have smaller pieces of those pricey glass things in it. Actually less of everything in it than the other 600mm equivalent lenses that are really 400mm lenses. When you consider that a Nikkor 300/2.8 is $4000 with the rebate, the Oly seem more than just a bit overpriced.

And since when is something priced according to what it cost to make it? You determine the price of the thing you are going to sell in the market place and then manufacture it so you can make a profit. A thing to stay rooted with this multiplier thing is that if anybody else's 300mm could be fitted to the E-1, it would give the same 600mm equivalence. It is kind of like that digital camera made by that Japanese film maker that said at one time its 6MP sensor was really 12MP. They finally gave up because too many people laughed.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA