Re: [OM] Olympus E-1, a dealer's perspective

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-1, a dealer's perspective
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:06:50 -0400
Hello,

If we're going to compare apples to apples, we should be factoring in any
multiplication factors for the digitals we're talking about. With the Canon,
it's 1.6 I believe. Canon does make a 400/2.8 which would be an effective
640/2.8 with their digital system, so there is an aprox 600/2.8 option from
Canon. I'm not sure what the multiplication factor for Nikon digitals is but
they also make a 400/2.8 so if it's similar to Canon's then they'd also have
a 600/2.8 optoin. Granted, both of these options would be heavier than
Olympus' 600/2.8 offering (which is one of the big advantages of the 4/3
system). The prices for these lenses are 6499.95 for the Canon and 7699.95
for the Nikon so that's around the same price as Olympus' option.

However, I am going to say that I was thinking about this too simply. I was
just thinking that a 300/2.8 should cost around the same as any other
300/2.8 in terms of you're getting a 300/2.8's worth of glass, regardless of
the actual FOV on your chosen system (a 600mm lens uses a LOT of glas so
it's going to cost a lot more). I was neglecting to figure in the cost of
developing a lens and any other associated costs. Part of the price is going
to be a portion of these costs. The lens may have similar production costs
as any other 300/2.8 but they're only going to have the sales volume for a
600/2.8 lens (which is going to be much smaller). Because of this, they're
going to have to increase the price to cover their costs.

I think I just got caught up in the initial gut reaction of seeing ~$7000
for a 300/2.8 without thinking about the bigger issues. Like I said before
though, I have no current need for a 600mm lens to begin with so this was
never a big factor in my decision. Currently, I'm waiting to see some faster
zooms or primes offered to round out the system before I dive in. Hopefully,
if some other manufacturers get on board with the 4/3 system we'll start to
see some greater variety in lens offerings.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/