Re: [OM] Difficult assignment

Subject: Re: [OM] Difficult assignment
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:13:01 +1100
> garyetx@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:garyetx@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:

>As well as angry. Maybe writing this will help some.

(Asking technical questions below - hope it helps, but it's
sincere interest too, Gary!)

> OM-4t with ganged T-32s; one on camera, one held away for
> modeling;

When you say one "held away", do you literally mean held
in one hand (must be quite hefty?). Does this make the
lighting relatively "flat" or does it provide definition
to subject or what (I'm speaking from total lighting
ignorance here)?

I remember watching a documentary on a National Geographic
photographer who had the usual rangefinder in one hand and
a flash held at arms length above his head and slightly to
the side in the other. He had the subject inside a darkish
room but leaning back against an open window from which
light streamed in and was taking the photo "contre jour" from
in the room (I hope I've described this properly). Is this
"off-camera" "on-cable" flash technique common for such
"casual" portraiture? Any tips on using this one-camera-one-
flash-on-cable technique?

(Yes, I'm ignorant of much on artificial lighting, but if
I say "I only like to use natural lighting", people think
it's an educated preference <grin>)

Marc
Sydney, Oz