Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...

Subject: Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:02:43 -0400
At 02:47 4/16/03, Jez wrote:

Thanks if you read this far - and now when I read other's posts about
screwed up films I can say 'been there, done that'...

br
jez

Jez . . . been there, done that, a very, very long time ago (2 decades ??). The most recent gaffe was about four-five years ago when I took the back off of a Contax IIIa without having rewound the film. Lost the last half-dozen frames from that one. Only time I've ever opened a back and ruined film.

Three things I always do now:
(1) Spin the rewind knob before opening a 35mm camera back. On the medium format rig I check the film counter (which cannot be at anything but "S" if it's empty). (2) When loading 35mm film I fire the shutter, then use the wind lever to engage the film in the take-up so that both sides are on the winding sprocket. (3) After film loading, I *lightly* take up the slack on the rewind crank and check when winding on to frame #1 that it's turning.

Takes conscious discipline for a while to get into the habit of doing these things, but I'm also determined to never repeat either of these "pilot errors" again. Now I do them automatically.

-- John