Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...

Subject: Re: [OM] Aaaargh - I did it...
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:50:32 -0400
What do you mean by top & bottom sprockets?  Between the film plane opening
and the take-up spool there is the sprocket shaft, one sprocket, turning as
one, to pull the film.  The metal inner shaft disengages from the outer
plastic part to allow film to be rewound, when you've finished the roll.
When you wind the shutter for the first time when loading a fresh roll, the
metal interior part snaps back into position and the sprocket turns.  If the
clutch on the take-up spool is bad, film will slip on the sprockets (you'll
hear it clicking) and frames will overlap.

Note for OM-PC users, I'm seeing more and more PCs where the rewind button
won't come up anymore because part of the inner sprocket shaft (the spring
loaded part that takes all the stress) is made of plastic and it BREAKS!  Of
course the PC sprocket is NLA so the nearest fit that will atleast allow you
to use the camera, is the sprocket from the 2S (they are all different).
Only problem with using the 2S sprocket is you have to hold the rewind
button down manually during film rewind.  Atleast you can use the camera!
John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743-4714
631-424-2121 For Free Olympus manuals,
please call 1-800-221-3000